Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Are We Adding Value to Others and to Us?

There is an opportunity to add value to others and to us, in every interaction we have and make such interactions memorable for both. Unfortunately, what I observe is most people take such interactions very lightly and miss it.

Let me give an example. For the FICCI-MEBC conclave at Chennai (on 18th & 19th Nov), I was invited by the CII team to be a part of the session on Radio Sector!! I have never studied that sector and was not sure how I can add value there. The final topic came to me was "How Radio Grows Cinema". Being a producer and marketer of films, I became confident and commenced preparing by going through various case studies on this topic. I also studied the Radio sector and its reach and growth in the last 10 years and put together a presentation for the audience.

On 19th, when I met the other panelists from the Radio industry, I was taken aback, when none of them came with any preparation. They were cool and were surprised when I stated that I wish to make a presentation on the topic. In fact, all of them said, I can commence the session and then they will join. However, I requested them to speak first, which they did, but to my surprise, their talk had little relevance to the topic and added limited value to the audience. I came in at the end and made my presentation and given various case studies and recommendations on how Radio can grow cinema further. Many have appreciated the presentation and sent messages to me. I felt happy that I added some value to the audience through this session.

This is one such example. I have witnessed several such incidents in my life where the person who is supposed to make a speech stating that he did not had time and hence is not fully prepared or he was invited at the last minute and hence could not prepare, to various other excuses. Excuses, Excuses and Excuses is what I listened to for lack of preparation from several people.

However, I did see a few people in life, who always come prepared for any meeting and add value to the audience. They are a delight to listened to and my inspiration. I follow their way of life religiously. I certainly want every meeting or a presentation of mine, whether it is to students, friends, associates, clients, prospects or to an audience, I add value to the people present, by doing my best. I always aim that, at the end of my session or meeting, they must feel that the time spent with me was worth. I should have added at least a little to their knowledge or they should have added a little to mine. Without that, such sessions are not worth.

I hate wasting time in chatting without any purpose and spending time with anyone, which does not value to any. If the time spent is purposeful and useful, it is certainly worth spending.

Am I being too demanding or tough on myself with this objective? Am I becoming too systematic or boring this way? May be I am. But I love this way as when we have limited time in life, it is better to spend it purposefully by adding value to others and to us...

2 comments:

  1. good to see you blogging.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog. I have similar thoughts on the topic and blogged about it a while ago here:
    http://changingconstant.wordpress.com/2010/04/14/successful-meeting/

    ReplyDelete